Tuesday, October 1, 2013

What, Me?

Today everyone is worried.  At school, teachers are worried about the long stretch that is called midterm.  My seniors are worried about college application essays and deadlines and decisions and homework and majors and life and okay, well, the seniors overdo it a bit.  Falcons fans are worried that the Saints are now 4-0.  The country is worried that the government shut down.  Israel is worried that Iran is developing nuclear weapons.  Okay, well, maybe worried isn’t the right word for the Falcons fans, but you get the idea.  What are you worried about? 

I confess:  I rarely worry.  Okay, so I was a little worried when I got up this morning and realized I didn’t have a lesson plan for my 7 am Russian class. I thought about it in the shower, printed off a page before class, and reviewed grammar with students during class.  It was "all good."  No, I don't like that phrase, but it all worked out.  I also don’t like the phrase that people who express paragraphs of worry and end their verbal essays with:  “Oh well, it is what it is.”  Right.  So, why did you just spend your breath and my time to express everything that is pressing on your mind and heart simply to dismiss it?  It’s either important and let’s talk about it or it’s not. 

A number of years ago, I experienced panic attacks about everything and about nothing at the same time.  I would be in the grocery store, almost ready to check out, and boom!  I had to push the cart to the side and leave without a word to anyone.  Something was worrying me. To this day, I don’t know what it was.  Medication was overrated, and meditation did help.  But, now I just can’t seem to muster up the energy to worry. 

Clearly, I might have a future in government because few of those lawmakers seem worried about the immediate effects or the fallout that the governmental shut is having and will have.  The etymology of the verb “to worry” seems appropriate here:  there are several languages this word hails back to, and all of the meanings have to do with strangle or rope.  (About what we might be feeling towards both sides of the aisle in Washington right now.)  Still, I see little point in worrying actually.  Things have a way of working themselves out:  from college admissions to fifth grade spelling quizzes to governmental shut downs – what will worrying contribute? 

So, as you watch too much CNN or FOX or as you stare blankly at your computer screen that beckons you to write that essay or report, remember worry doesn’t help, but getting to work just might.  Now, if only our lawmakers could do the same.


No comments:

Post a Comment